1/4 acre cleared

Alexis and I went to Five Islands for Thanksgiving and I made good progress on the orchard with help from the folks, while she studied neurology and pharmacology.  The orchard site is up to its intended size of about 1/4 acre, and its ready for the machine to come and tip out the stumps. 

 We’ve got an old cordwood trailer that Dave made out of the frame and rear axle of an expired half-ton pickup.  It hadn’t been used for years, but the tires weren’t completely flat, and after charging them up, Emily and I got out about two cords of good-sized maple in four foot chunks; added them to Pops’ pile for next winter.  The trailer worked great towed behind the small Kubota tractor, though the tires dug ruts in the track leading out of the woods.   At the end of last trip I left a couple of red maple tops on the ground, and these I cut up and threw on the brush piles.  I also mowed down a thicket of small moose-maple between 1 and 3 inches in diameter, and dropped a scraggly old dead apple tree, about 8″.  On Sunday Dave joined me in the morning and we dropped the last tree, a 12″ red maple, and cut it up.  The brush is all in 4 piles, all the small cordwood has been hauled away, and there are 5 or 6 large maple logs that will be pushed aside by the machine when it comes for the stumps.  We’ll drag a log splitter into the orchard, dice the logs to stove length, and split the pieces before hauling them out in the spring.

 I also cleaned up the orchard site with Pops’ walk-behind mower (“The Whippah”), a two-wheeled, one-blade machine that did a fine job of knocking down a few remaining saplings and a whole forest of small white pine seedlings.  The mowing definitely gave the site a more civilized appearance, despite four huge brush piles and the several large logs scattered around.  With the same walk-behind mower, I also prepared a nursery bed to receive the baby trees next spring.  I mowed a swath about 8 feet wide and 100 feet long at the edge of a dormant field where Emily grew pumpkins for the local market when I was a kid. 

I then hitched up a two-bottom plow to the Kubota and took a couple of passes down the field.  The plow flipped the sod right over in most cases, though the left (rear) furrow did not turn reliably, and after spending maybe 1/2 hour flipping the recalcitrant bits with a spade and turning fork, I resolved to figure out how to adjust the plow properly next time.  It wasn’t that bad really, and Alexis and Emily came out to help at the end.  The sod will rot over the fall and winter, and next spring I’ll smooth it out with a harrow and stick in the trees when they come.  The nursery bed is adjacent to an existing fenced area, so I will just have to move the fence over by 8′ or so to protect the young trees from the deer and moose.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: