Holly, Brandon, and I put in a good effort on the new press this weekend. We drilled holes in the oak caps and pine cores of the cross timbers – starting with drill press and Forstner bit, finishing with bit brace and auger. We then assembled the caps to the cores with wood glue (around a quart total) and clamped, using both the 1″ threaded rods that will become the tie bars and also K-body clamps borrowed from Holly. I had to run over to Holly’s where we got out some more oak caps since I had only made 4 in Maine instead of the necessary 8 due to a temporary brain malfunction. Sunday morning I bonded the second pair of cross timbers, and started work on the verticals. I then took a break to go walk the dogs around Fresh Pond, and Brandon came over later in the afternoon. We cleaned up the joinery with rabbet plane, chisels, low angle block plane, and (new addition) carbide-tipped 3″ Bosch power planer, then belt sanded everything and dry fit it. The result is seen in the photo below – next steps are to bore the cross timbers for the threaded rods that will bind them to the verticals, do a final dry fit to soften the edges with a roundover bit, and then assemble and finish. It’s going to be BIG!